My portfolio will give you an idea of some of the experience I have.
Editing and proofreading
- The South African Pharmacy Council’s (SAPC) official journal Pharmaciae,
annual reports, and a variety of documents, policies, guides and reports on continuing professional development, accreditation and monitoring and evaluation visits (2009–present).
- Articles, documents, reports, press releases, business proposals, executive summaries – Carletonville Herald, Driefontein Gold Mine, National Department of Health, Andani Trading (1993–2012).
- Editing for private individuals – CVs, master’s thesis, letters and documents.
- Articles have covered a wide variety of topics (while employed at the Carletonville Herald, Driefontein Gold Mine, and the National Department of Health) – editorial content, local and national government, topical issues, human interest, investigative journalism, environmental issues, gold mining, health, etc. (1993–2012)
- Compiled a 272 page report on the South African Pharmacy Council’s conference that was held in June 2013 (see details below under Media Services).
- Wrote and directed a short play for staging internally at Driefontein Gold Mine – Zingela Nkosi – an analogy of safety in the workplace and driving in a taxi (2000).
- Articles on health for Vukuzinzele (GCIS – Government Communication and Information Centre) and external publications while at the National Department of Health (2005–2012).
- Web content for Golden Vision Optometrist (2005).
- Copywriting for promotional material (advertisements, leaflets, brochures, fliers) for Driefontein Gold Mine, Golden Vision Optometrists, the SAPC and the National Department of Health.
- Since going freelance I have started writing articles under my own byline. They have appeared in The Media Online and Bizcommunity. They are posted on my website. I intend to increase my article writing as time permits.
- Since 2005, over 50 quarterly newsletters compiled for Sibanye Gold Health and Sibanye Gold
- Over 120 weekly in-house newsletters (Civitas Update and Supatsela) compiled for the National Department of Health (2009–2012).Shared Services (both formerly of Gold Fields Limited Mining Division) – writing articles, sourcing content, interviewing employees, design and layout. Sibanye Gold Shared Services is a current client. Sibanye Gold Health was sold to Africa Health earlier in 2014 and I intend approaching them to offer my services.
- A number of in-house newsletters for Driefontein Gold Mine, Kloof Gold Mine and Golden Vision Optometrists (1996–2010).
- 1st National Pharmacy Conference 2013: Media liaison and compilation of press releases for the four-day conference. Transcription of 60 presentations (from national and international speakers) and the compilation of the final conference report.
- Numerous press releases and speeches written for Driefontein Gold Mine and Golden Vision Optometrists (1996–2006).
- Media strategies drafted and media packs compiled for national and provincial health awareness campaigns (2005–2012).
Creative Media Services
- PowerPoint presentations (moving over to video presentations in 2003) for Driefontein Gold Mine management – Quarterly Production Awards, Long Service Awards and the Mine Manager’s Annual Dinner (1998–2004).
- PowerPoint presentations for the National Department of Health (2005–2012). In charge of presenting an overview of the communication department and its processes to new employees.
- Video presentations for the reception area at Sibanye Gold Shared Services (2012, 2013 and 2014).
- Short video presentations for three human resources seminars – Driefontein Gold Mine and Gold Fields Head Office (2011 and 2012).
- Video interview – Dr Phetsile Dlamini (NEPAD coordinator). The footage was sent to America and included in a visual presentation on the nominees for the Adventist Women of the Year 2006 awards.
- Desktop slides raising awareness of health issues – Department of Health (2012). Design and copywriting.
- Leaflets and pamphlets for Golden Vision Optometrists and Driefontein Gold Mine (2005–2006). Design and copywriting.
- Wedding and special occasion videos (including photography and videography) for numerous private clients. Compiled and produced souvenir wedding albums when requested (2005–to present).
While at the Carletonville Herald I was appointed as the unofficial editor of Seipone, a weekly newspaper for the adjoining township of Khutsong.
I achieved placements within the top ten journalists in the annual Sanlam Awards for Regional Newspapers over a period of four years in the 1990s. Placements were achieved in the categories editorial, human interest and environmental reporting.
In 1996, just before joining the mining industry and moving out of journalism, I was nominated the runner-up in the Environmental Category of the Sanlam Awards for Regional Newspapers.
I love to think I could have chalked up more accolades if I had stayed in journalism…